Photo by T. Brady - Farrand Field
Course taught: ARCH 2100 - Studio 1 - Foundations of Architecture in the Environmental Design Program.
In this second-semester sophomore class, consistently delivered valuable lessons from architectural and engineering background. Projects included subtractive and additive space, biomimicry and biophilia, and a micro-housing project along the South Platte River in Denver. Lectures included a thorough and precise Site Analysis Process and Examples presentation to all five 2100 level classes.
Prepared and presented extra lesson material at each class including valuable information on building codes, structures, foundations, circulation, stairs, elevators, materials, etc. Brought guest architects into critiques, documented their input with great care, and provided thorough feedback to each student.
Utilized Canvas and Miro for all communication, classwork, and grading.
Obtained end of semester student appraisal of professor average of 4.72 out of 5. Received all positive comments from students including one that said, “lessons were informative about architecture in the real world”.
Photo by T. Brady - Sewall Dining
From a lesson given at University of Colorado Boulder
ARCH 2100 - 013 - Foundations of Architecture
Trivia & Fun
Who was the architect for the University of Colorado Boulder campus master plan in 1918 and who also designed 15 buildings after that time including Norlin Library in 1939?
Charles Klauder was the architect on the campus master plan for University of Colorado Boulder in 1918. After the plan was set, he also designed 15 buildings in the Tuscan Vernacular Revival style, characterized by rough, textured sandstone walls with sloping, multi-leveled, red-tiled roofs and Indiana limestone trim, which were designed by Klauder between 1921 and 1939. The oldest buildings of the CU-Boulder campus, such as Old Main (1876) and Macky Auditorium (1923), are in the Collegiate Gothic style of many East Coast schools.
Norlin Library was the final building designed by Klauder on the CU- Boulder campus in 1939.